Published: Tuesday March 24, 2015.

I can't believe; today was a good day

The reminder for me to write my daily 500 words happened 8 hours ago and I’ve only now had time to sit down and do something about it. I just hovered over the file listing in my documents folder. There are things worth saying in dead, and also I opted to open the latter and, well, here I am again. Hi.

I’m writing this on Saturday evening, and it’ll go live on Tuesday morning. There’s no longer a week-plus delay before posts appear, and that’s a good thing on two fronts. Most importantly, I’m writing elsewhere. No book progress as yet, but that’ll happen in due course. The other benefit is that I don’t have to mentally calculate what day things are happening and faff around with the correct tense. It makes for easier writing.

Today was an interesting day. I woke after a pretty good night of sleep, and had a clear work diary. I sort of miss weekends, despite how much I profess to love my work and be on-call at all hours. I didn’t do a jot of work today, not one bit. I decided on what I want my next car to be and, hopefully, in a week it’ll be mine. I learned to drive an automatic transmission car. I climbed rocks to a nearby coast haven and filled some empty bags full of junk washed in from the sea. I enjoyed sunshine. I wore shorts and a t-shirt. As the sun started to set, I had a pleasant chat with a lady who has more money that I can possible imagine and enough power to have me disappeared, if need be. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but I have no doubt she could make calls.

And it was all fine. I didn’t get any anxiety about upcoming things, and I even allowed myself a bit of time to think about the specifics of two businesses I want to start this year. I made a Mexican food dinner which included homegrown sprouts and, broadly speaking, I had a pretty darned good day.

Changing tack, the first thought I had when I woke was about identity and self-image. I’m in a transitional phase right now and there are a big bunch of things changing, both with me personally and in my surroundings. I’m going to write about this in the coming weeks, likely after the start of April when I’m not writing here quite as often. Rather than the current situation of every other day, I’m gunning for twice-weekly publication on Sunday evening and Wednesday morning. There will, I daresay, be a bit more coherence to what I’m doing, and I am looking forward to sharper presentation and — the horror — some editing, too.

Today was a useful day. A lot of what happened and was decided can’t be covered here and now, but in the fullness of time it’ll all become clear. For the rest of my evening, I’m trying my best to not overthink and will simply turn to a video game that I’ve had hundreds of hours of entertainment from: Borderlands 2.