Published: Friday February 6, 2015.

February 6th, 2015

It’s Sunday evening as I write this. I’ve had two days mostly free of work. Having worked both days of the previous weekend, I made more a conscious effort to have some time off. I haven’t achieved much of what I wanted to do, but perhaps that’s the point.

I’ve been down to the beach two days in a row and picked up a bunch of plastic, rope, fishing line and other stuff that shouldn’t really be on a beach. Today’s session was about 40 minutes all in, and two big bags were filled. It was a useful exercise on a personal level because I was doing something away from a screen. Most of the things I had planned for the weekend were screen-centric and, with the exception of my daily words, none of them were completed.

I stopped counting after I’d picked up the 200th piece of trash. There was something almost meditative about it, despite not sitting still in perfect silence. When the second bag was stuffed full and I realised that I had 20 minutes before a short-notice appointment, it was time to head back up the hill.

On the way back to the car, I walked by shreds of rope that I’d missed. I thought about how the bags I’d filled up would go into landfill. At the next high tide, there would be more sea-battered garbage to pick up. By its nature, it’s never-ending. I haven’t decided how I feel about this. On the one hand, there’s a plentiful supply of fresh litter to collect and dispose of, which is reason to go back and fill an empty bag or two. Given an hour and less winter wind, I could fill a full-size trash bag. Enormous sense of well-being, exercise, change of scene, blah blah, etc. A few kilos reduction in the amount of stuff sloshing around is still a reduction, but how much will be added back in by boats and beach users? Is what I’m doing actually making a difference?

It hasn’t helped that I’ve had a persistent headache all day. I got up late and decided a short-notice walk would be a good thing prior to a later-than-usual breakfast. I always feel a bit off after a walking hiatus, likely down to blood sugar and brain chemical differences or some mild detox, but I’ve resolved to get fitter this month by adding a walking and meditation habit to my days. So, I must.

It also didn’t help that it was the weekend. I’m still not very good with weekends. Weekends are another thing that I haven’t properly fathomed; do I struggle with weekends because of what I do during the week, or for other reasons? It’s a mystery to me. One of the things I’d lined up to take a look at this weekend was a website template for this site. It’s not a work thing, and it’s something I’ve been meaning to take care of for a long time, but nothing happened. It’s now too late for me to make a start without it affecting my sleep, and as I’m making very good progress with that I’m not going to rock the boat.

Water, pills and fresh air haven’t helped my headache. I don’t think staring at a screen is going to do any good, either.

Tomorrow is Monday. I like Mondays.